Re: Power completely drained in hibernate mode?

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 5:02 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Darac Marjal wrote:
>> Patrick Wiseman wrote:
>> > Any thoughts about how to diagnose what's going on? (It's also
>> > painfully slow to get back up to speed coming out of hibernation, but
>> > that's another story.)
>>
>> First off, see if you have any lights on on the machine while it's
>> hibernated. If there is a sleep light, or if the power light "pulses",
>> for example, then the machine hasn't hibernated.
>>
>> Next, see if your system is configured for "hybrid sleep". Hybrid Sleep
>> is like sleep, but the system is additionally saved to disk. That way,
>> if the battery dies, a resume-from-hibernation can be performed. Check
>> /etc/systemd/login.conf in case any of the Handle* options are set to
>> hybrid-sleep.
>
> Another suggestion...
>
> After hibernating remove the battery from the laptop.  If it still
> drains then you know it is a failing battery.  Batteries sometimes
> fail with a high internal current which causes them to drain
> internally.

Well, I didn't do that, but when last I hibernated, the battery was
showing 100% and when I restarted it was at 55%! So maybe my battery
is indeed failing. I'll try removing it right after hibernating next
time to confirm. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Patrick