Re: no ntp installed

Matthias Bodenbinder wrote:
> I installed debian 8 on one of my PCs and found out that no ntp or
> ntpdate or rdate is installed. How is debian 8 synchronizing the
> system time?

I install 'ntp'.

  # apt-get install ntp

The default configuration will use the a debian alias pool of Internet
time servers.  In a typical environment it will "just work" and
nothing more is needed.

Do not try to install 'ntpdate' as it is not needed when the 'ntp'
package is installed.  Just install ntp and not ntpdate.

Also do not use rdate as it steps the clock.  That is only reasonable
at boot time.  Use ntp and not rdate.

Bob