Re: Unable to complete package upgrade in jessie

On 04/27/2015 at 06:57 PM, Bill Baker wrote:

> On 04/27/2015 06:23 PM, Michael Biebl wrote:
>
>> Am 28.04.2015 um 00:05 schrieb Bill Baker:

>>> Anyone have any ideas on what I can try next?
>>>
>> First upgrade your kernel to the wheezy version (reboot) and everything
>> will be fine.
>>
>> Dist-upgrades been foo and foo+2 (or greater) are not really supported.
>
> I already tried that.  From my original email:
>
>> I even tried upgrading the kernel with apt-get -f install linux-image-486:

>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>  consolekit : Breaks: udev (< 204-1) but 175-7.2 is to be installed
>>  linux-image-486 : Depends: linux-image-586 but it is not going to be
>> installed
>> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
>> specify a solution).

A few thoughts:

1. Is there a reason why you need 'apt-get -f install packagename'? Does
it error out if you just run 'apt-get install packagename'?

2. What happens if you try to install linux-image-586 instead, or even
the specific-kernel-version package which it depends on
(linux-image-3.16.0-4-586)? linux-image-486 is just a dummy package
depending on the -586 package anyway. Even if it still fails, you may
get a more helpful error message.

If nothing else helps, you may end up needing to manually reinstall the
.deb files for some earlier package versions (from before the 'apt-get
upgrade' which originally got you into this state), but it would be
preferable to avoid going that far if possible.

--
   The Wanderer