Debian 7.8 amd64 xfce lightdm login screen second monitor sleeps but does not wake up

debian-user:

I have a computer:

 Intel DQ67SWR motherboard
  Intel Core i7-2600S processor with Intel HD Graphics 2000
  DVI analog port
   Intel DVI to VGA adapter (came with motherboard)
   IOGEAR GCS78 KVM switch
   LG EW224T-PN LCD monitor
  DP port
   StarTect DP2VGA2 DP to VGA adapter
   ViewSonic VX2260WM LCD monitor
 Debian 7.8 amd64 (Wheezy) with Xfce desktop environment

If the machine is at the lightdm login screen and left unused, after ~10 minutes, both monitors go dark (I'm calling it "sleep"; I don't know what Debian/lightdm/Xfce/X/power manager/whatever calls it).

If I then press the Shift key, the LG monitor "wakes up" (or whatever it's called) every time, but the ViewSonic monitor sometimes does not wake up.

One work-around is to unplug the DP to VGA adapter from the motherboard, wait a few seconds, and then plug it back in. Usually, but not always, the ViewSonic monitor then wakes up. (Unplugging the monitor from the DP to VGA adapter does not seem to fix the problem.)

Another work-around is to wait another 10 minutes and try again.

I don't see any clues STFW or looking at the files in /var/log.

I don't know how to figure out what software package and/or configuration file(s) control the monitors when lightdm is at the login screen.

Any suggestions?

David