Re: Wheezy: making a bootable HD with Grub

On Sun 26 Apr 2015 at 08:57:20 -0700, Ldten K wrote:

> On Sun, 4/26/15, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >  You get the bare minimum with  grub rescue>; not even TAB completion,
>
> Yes, that's how it looked to me. The problem was I couldn't get much
> done with grub rescue CLI.

It's all you have to work with at present. And a lot can be done with
it. Much typing, though, because the is no command history either. :)

> > You need to to get the system booting so that you run 'update-grub'
> > and  maybe, for good measure,  'install-grub' prior to that command.
>
> As I understand it, "update-grub" runs "grub-mkconfig -o
> /boot/grub/grub.cfg". I think it will simply update my existing and
> working grub config file at my old /dev/sda drive.

I was thinking in terms of the new drive being the only drive installed.

>                                                    Actually, after I
> ran "grub-install" I copied all files from /dev/sda1 boot partition to
> /dev/sdb1.

Very naughty. grub.cfg will have a UUID matching the old drive.

> >  Let's see the output of  'ls', please.
>
> I have the new HD offline at the moment. As I remember it, "ls" output
> looked like the following: (hd0,msdos1) (hd0,msdos2), (hd0,swap),
> something like that.

(hd0,swap) is more likely to be (hd0,msdos3)

One of the partitions holds the kernel and initrd image. Another has the
files vmlinuz and initrd.img. 'ls ((hd0,msdos1)/' etc should help with
locating them. Where are they?