Re: Can't redirect stout and stderr

Le sextidi 6 floréal, an CCXXIII, Rodolfo Medina a écrit :
> > "&> file" is a bashism but should work.
> >
> > "> file 2&1" is a typo for "> file 2>&1"

> Both commands write onto `file' only a part of the output of `update-grub', I
> think the standard output.  After giving the command and pressing `enter', that
> part is not shown on the screen but sent to `file'.  The `error' part instead
> (the one complaining `unable to read superblock' and so on) is not written to
> `file' but is shown after giving the command and pressing `enter', and I don't
> manage to send it to a file.

That is not normal. Unless update-grub is doing something really really
wrong, there is some other problem at work.

The "script" suggestion was a good one if the problem is not unwritable
filesystem:

Start "script", then enter, you get a new shell. Run your commands
(including the redirects: a cleanly redirected output is more readable than
a script recording), then exit the shell. You get a file named "typescript"
with the tty output.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George