Re: the correct way to read a big directory? Mutt?

On 2015-04-24 16:39:51 -0500, David Wright wrote:
> Well that's a relief. I was getting worried about there being some
> "magic" involved when you said you didn't use cacheing. So, looking
> back at https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2015/04/msg01265.html ,
>
>  "In which case, if you want to know how come mutt is so fast, take a
>  look at the source. Just to mention one optimisation I would consider:
>  slurp the directory and sort the entries by inode. Open the files in
>  inode order.

When you said that, I didn't know that this was taken from Mutt (or
perhaps you suggested that without looking at the Mutt source?).

This is now done in my script, but I had to use the ReadDir module
from CPAN, since both readdir implementations in Perl (the standard
readdir Perl function and POSIX::readdir) just return the file name.
And this ReadDir module isn't available in a Debian package.