Re: empty directories need disk space

On 04/21/2015 at 08:54 AM, basti wrote:

> Hello,
> on different servers I have cache folders with a lot of small files. Now
> all the files are delete but the folder "need" 151 MB.
> Whats gonig on here? What is the problem? How can I fix? Delete and
> create would be impracticable.

Are there any dotfiles in the directories, which might still be taking
up space despite not showing up in normal directory listings? (This can
be checked with 'ls -A'.)

If not, then this sounds like it might be the problem which was
discussed on this list recently, in the thread entitled reading an empty
directory after reboot is very slow" which began on April 13th.

Check the list archives and see if that thread helps you any, and if it
doesn't, try to explain what's different about your situation so that we
can try to figure something else out.

--
   The Wanderer