Re: Change partition numbering

On 2015-04-18, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> After resizing a partition on my hard disk,
> partition numbering changed and now
> number 7 comes before and number 6 comes after:
>
> Model: ATA SAMSUNG MP0402H (scsi)
> Disk /dev/sda: 40.1GB
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
> Partition Table: msdos
> Disk Flags:
>
> Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system     Flags
>  1      32.3kB  8390MB  8390MB  primary   fat32           boot
>  2      8390MB  40.1GB  31.7GB  extended                  lba
>  5      8390MB  9434MB  1045MB  logical   linux-swap(v1)
>  7      9434MB  26.2GB  16.8GB  logical   ext3
>  6      26.2GB  40.1GB  13.8GB  logical   ext3
>
> Is it possible, and how?, to correct that and change back 7 with 6?  Googling
> around found no solution.
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Rodolfo

Yes it is possible with GNU Linux fdisk in expert mode.

Boot systemrescuecd (CD/USB) or GNU/Linux LiveCD
that has a recent version of GNU linux fdisk binary available.
run fdisk -l from root term or console
to determine proper drive dev location.
Then run for instance, if the drive shows to be
/dev/sda as determined via the output of fdisk -l.
Run fdisk as below:
fdisk /dev/sda
Then at the fdisk prompt type:
now you should be in expert mode and at the expert mode prompt.
type:
at the expert mode prompt. If all went right it will realign
partition order. When you are really sure you have done this
all properly, you would then type:
at the fdisk prompt and changes will be written to disk.