Re: Debian 7 and external monitors and graphics adaptors

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 13:35:12 +0800
Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> bret@bret-Aspire-V3-772:~$ grep -B2 'Module class: X.Org Video Driver'
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> [    26.440] (II) Module intel: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> [    26.440] 	compiled for 1.15.1, module version = 2.99.910
> [    26.440] 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
> --
> [    26.449] (II) Module nouveau: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> [    26.449] 	compiled for 1.15.0, module version = 1.0.10
> [    26.449] 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver

OK, so you have both an Intel and an nVidia GPU.

<snip>

> Now, I do not know much about hardware, in this context, but it
> appears to me that the nVidia graphics thing should be being used, but
> is not being used by either Ubuntu or Debian (neither has drivers for
> it?), and Ubuntu has a more comprehensive driver set (?) for the Intel
> Haswell graphics controller (is/should the nVidia graphics thing, be
> subordinate to / driven by the Intel Haswell graphics controller?),
> part of which, is missing from Debian 7 (as installed and
> configured)?.

I am not exactly sure how you configure two GPUs from two different
vendors, as I haven't done that myself, but I do know this: many
machines has a setting in the BIOS (or, I would assume, UEFI) that lets
you select to use either on-board or discrete graphics. You may want to
check that.

Also, there are proprietary drivers available for nVidia cards. Those
drivers have a GUI for configuring them, which you might find easier to
use. I found this link, that might help you:

https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

It doesn't appear that these instructions use the latest available
drivers at the time, but those that have been tested with your version
of Debian, and that is probably a good thing. If you, for some reason,
want the latest drivers, you can do a search for "nvidia linux
drivers", and I am sure you will find them easily enough. Be adviced,
though, that messing too much with graphics drivers can quite
thoroughly mess up your X configuration, so you might want recent
backups :)

I hope this is of some help to you.

Petter

--