Re: wheezy drive recognition?

On 04/14/2015 07:30 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
I have a 3 drive hot swap cage ...
wheezy on what is now /dev/sda. ...
Tonight I cut the blisterpack off the first of the 2Tb drives and slid
it into slot 2. ...
Wheezy, with "SMP Debian 3.2.65-1+deb7u2 x86_64 GNU/Linux" kernel running
cannot connect to it, doing this from /var/log/messages: ...
These 2 new drives are sata-3, 6Gb/sec drives.  From the logs, the driver
had set it down to 1.5Gbs in an attempt to talk to it, but obviously
failed. The motherboard book only claims 3Gbs. ...
Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard ...

My one Asus motherboard (M2NPV-VM) worked fine, right up until the day it died. If yours still works, I would expect it to work with new Seagate SATA 3 HDD's.

Disconnect all drives and the cage.

Get a power supply tester and test your power supply.

Test your memory:

    http://www.memtest.org/

Take an image of your system drive and back up all of your data.

Install one new HDD in an internal drive bay. Connect it to a known good power cable, and a known good SATA port on the motherboard using a known good SATA cable. Boot the HDD manufacturer diagnostic CD and run all the utilities. For Seagate, I use SeaTools for DOS:

    http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

If the HDD passes all the tests, boot a Debian Wheezy installation CD, install Debian on the HDD, boot the HDD, log in, and see if there are errors in the logs.

If Debian works correctly, move the HDD to the cage, connect the cage, and try again.

If you run into problems, post the details.

David