Re: reading an empty directory after reboot is very slow

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015, at 13:11, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Oh!  I was unaware of the e2fsck -D option.  Good deal!

I didn't recall it existed either, or I'd have mentioned it much earlier in the thread... but I noticed it in the manpage while doing some research due to my participation on this thread. It was time well spent!

> I also like tmpfs for /tmp for simple systems.  But it isn't a general
> purpose solution for everyone.  There are many cases such as when /tmp
> is used as a large file dropbox that it doesn't work to use a limited
> size tmpfs.

Yeah, that's a bad habit to have as it slows down way too many utilities (lots of stuff benefit for extremely lightweight ultra-fast tmpfs in /tmp and $TMPDIR, from "sort" to gcc without -pipe), but it is indeed widespread.

The "persistent dumping ground" lives in /var/tmp, it is not supposed to be in /tmp or ${TMPDIR}.  But old habits are hard to change.

  Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org>