Re: Book questions

On Monday 13 April 2015 17:22:34 Reco wrote:
>  Hi.
>
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 02:16:40AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> > > *ANSI* C - yes. For instance, gcc has this wonderful '-ansi'
> > > switch. It's even possible to choose the exact version of ANSI C
> > > standard (i.e. -std=c99).
> > > *K&R* C - no. At least, gcc-4.7 has no switch for this that I'm
> > > aware of.
> >
> > Okay - this is where the detail of the Kernighan & Ritchie book, is
> > required.
> >
> > You see, when I searched for "C" books, at amazon, I found at
> > http://www.amazon.com/The-Programming-Language-Brian-Kernighan/dp/81
> >20305965/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=02E2S6076Y4MYDCXP9RE
> >
> ><skip>
> >
> > So, the second edition, published in 1988, included ANSI "C", and,
> > the picture of the from cover of the book, has a big stamp on it;
> > "ANSI C".
>
> That's something that I didn't know. And that means that back in 1994
> they gave me first edition of the book :) Not that it stopped me from
> reading it or trying the things they put in there.
>
> > So, it really depends on, if the original poster obtains, or,
> > obtains access to, a copy of the text "The C Programming Language"
> > by Kernighan and Ritchie, whether he gets a copy that is the second
> > edition (1988) or later.
> >
> > If he gets a copy that is the second edition (1988), or later, then
> > it should be ANSI "C".
>
> The only suspicious thing is - the oldest ANSI C standard that I'm
> aware of is C89. Sure, K&R could use a draft of ANSI C standard in the
> second edtition, but still...

That depends on the K&R version you have. I have both and they are in
fact 95% alike.  Blue & white cover, good printing job = 1st edition.

Blue, white and red on the cover and it's ed 2, the ANSI C89 version.  It
was not finalized and published till about 92 or so.  Its also a lousy
print job, the copy I have was assembled, bound, and sold when the
offset plates that printed it were, in the parlance of the offset
printing business I am also familiar with, "blind" so large swathes of
it have to be read under a good light with a magnifying glass.

> > When I was learning "C", I found the (then available) Sam's Waite
> > Group "C" Bible to be a brilliant reference manual, as it was a
> > brilliant language reference manual.
> >
> > But, a reference manual, and, a teaching course, are two different
> > things.
>
> Sure. That's why I'd like to add this:
>
> http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920025108.do
>
> The book assumes that you know the basics, and focuses on the ways of
> using them right way (makefiles, pkg-config, that stuff). Good
> reading.
>

> Reco

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)