Re: Upgrading guidance for Cedarview driver in Debian 6 - 2.6.32 Kernel

On 31-03-2015 17:01, Petter Adsen wrote:
On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 16:35:33 +0530
venkat <venkat.s@vortexindia.co.in> wrote:

Hi Peter

Thanks for the response, I really understand the need for the
upgrade. We are definitely working on it.It would definitely take
some time. To handle current situation, I wanted to somehow use
2.6.32 kernel with newest version of cedarview driver.
If you show me a trigger point where to start this process it would
be great.
I did a little searching, and from what I find, I don't think you can
without upgrading. The problem is not only the old kernel, but old
versions of X and the necessary libraries. The *only* other option you
would have, would be to build everything you need from source, and I
would *not* recommend you try that, as it could get you into a world of
trouble.

If this is a machine you rely on for business, then you want a stable
base. Upgrading core libraries and other components would be such an
intrusive procedure that you are very likely to bring the whole system
down.

I'm sorry, but I think you are out of luck until you are able to
upgrade the entire distribution. Take note that I haven't done any
extensive research into this, I just did a couple of quick searches,
but what I read makes me pretty sure that an upgrade is the best way
forward for you.

Petter

PS: Please don't top post.
Thanks for pointing. This I am very new to this sort of posting environment. Will improve.

<snip>

Thanks petter,

The explanation is pretty clear now. I am able to visualize the effect now and we will immediately start working on this process However, I just want to explain the the requirement which i am working on. It would be great if you help me with some pointers.

Primary intent : To control connected HDMI and CRT monitors individually.

We use VESA as display driver for connected display(Single display). Now, we are trying to extend and use dual display as said (HDMI and CRT). We configured it using BIOS and see the display output in connected screen (HDMI and CRT).

Interestingly, we notice that XRANDR does not reflect any info on connected devices. Is updating kernel the only way to solve this?? or is there some configuration error on my side.

xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 800 x 600, current 800 x 600, maximum 800 x 600
default connected 800x600+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   800x600 75.0*

"grub.cfg" -- http://pastebin.com/Lqidputz

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.32-5-686' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 9b5e2b33-b876-4f5c-9a61-0c685c403a6d
    echo    'Loading Linux 2.6.32-5-686 ...'
    linux    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-686 root=/dev/sda1 nomodeset
    echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    initrd    /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-686
}
### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

"xorg.conf" -- http://pastebin.com/g1MFsdWE

Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "ShadowFB"               # [<bool>]
        #Option     "DefaultRefresh"         # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ModeSetClearScreen"     # [<bool>]
    Identifier  "Card0"
    Driver      "vesa"
    VendorName  "Intel Corporation"
    BoardName   "Cedarview Integrated Graphics Controller"
    BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"