Re: GRUB loading.. Welcome to GRUB! error: incompatible license Entering rescue mode..

On Mon 30 Mar 2015 at 09:55:49 +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 02:44:03PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> > debian:
> >
> > I did a fresh install of Debian using debian-7.6.0-i386-netinst.iso today.
> > When I rebooted, I saw:
> >
> >     GRUB loading..
> >     Welcome to GRUB!
> >
> >     error: incompatible license
> >     Entering rescue mode..
> >     grub rescue>
> >
> > I figured that there was something incompatible between the older ISO and
> > current files.
> >

> > So, I downloaded debian-7.8.0-i386-xfce-CD-1.iso and installed that.  When I
> > rebooted, I saw:
> >
> >     GRUB loading..
> >     Welcome to GRUB!
> >
> >     error: incompatible license
> >     Entering rescue mode..
> >     grub rescue>
> >

> > Any suggestions?
>
> I couldn't find anything immediately helpful on the web so I downloaded
> the source code for grub. Fortunately, there's only one instance of the
> phrase "incompatible license" in there and it's in a small function
> called "grub_dl_check_license". The purpose of this function is to
> confirm that a module being loaded has a license of "GPLv3", "GPLv3+" or
> "GPLv2+". If not, then it returns the above error. I'm not intimately
> familiar with the GPL, but as GRUB is one of GNU's higher-visibility
> projects, I imagine this is seen as a perfectly cromulent thing to do.
>
> I would suggest raising a bug against grub with the output from
> bootinfoscript[1] attached. This is the sort of thing that testing
> should have picked up, but it's possible you're pulling in a module that
> most people don't use and which has no license or something.

Bug #650435.

  GRUB doesn't have a stable binary ABI. So modules from one version
  can't be used with another one and not having consistent setup is a
  bug (usually wrong grub-install invocation) or user misintervention.
  If it wasn't for this message the loading would have failed for
  another reason (probably symbol problem). You need to use consistent
  setup. You can't take a new head and put it on old body, they are
  not compatible.

Which was the reason for the comment I made earlier.