Re: Wheezy wifi problems

Quoting Bob Holtzman (holtzm@cox.net):
> After figuring out how to get iwlwifi installed and now being able to
> turn on the transciever, the problem becomes being asked for
> authentication as in a password or encryption key to connect to the
> network. I don't remmember setting up a password or key for this.My
>
> Anyone have an idea how I can get connected? Any pointers appreciated.

Well, it might help to know what software you're trying to connect
with, and where you are: in a café or at home. If you're at home, I'd
would have thought it unlikely that you (or houses around) are running
a wifi Access Point without encryption.

I use wicd myself. If I look at the APs listed, move down the list
with ↓ and then press →, the configuration for that AP screen will
have the "Use Encryption" box checked if the AP was listed as
requiring it (which, in my living room, they all are). It's then a
matter of using ↓ to move down to the line marked "Key:" and typing in
the key (set at the router/AP).

An unsecured AP will show the "Use Encryption" box unchecked.

As the wifi connections are per machine rather than per user, the
passwords are stored in /etc/wicd/wireless-settings.conf so a new
installation would require you to copy this file over (as root) to get
the immediate automatic connectivity you're used to.

I assume that other software does much the same sort of thing. They
might vary in their ability to display a password to the ordinary user
in the configuration screen above. Wicd gives a little privacy in that
the stored key shows as asterisks unless you move the cursor down to
the "Key:" line itself.

Cheers,
David.