Debian jessie and the normal console (CTRL+ALT+Fn)

Hi debian users,
I would really appreciate some help on a recent issue I have.

The system
        Dell e5440
        Debian jessie (upgraded recently from wheezy)
        TDE desktop

The Problem:
        I received this notebook few weeks ago and migrated the installation from
the old Dell d520 which I've been using in the past 8y with lenny/wheezy.
Because of the newer hardware I had to go for jessie, so that X supports the
newer intell HD graphic card.
Everything went well (not perfect, but anyway it was good upgrade and
started working). Now finally I started polishing here and there and one of
the things I was missing was a nice splash screen for the bootup. I
replaced splashy with plymouth and it is really nice, but afterwards I can
not see the console with CTRL+ALT+F1. I actually don't see anything but
thelast screen on the X desktop.

Test:
CTRL+ALT+F1
login as a normal user (you don't see but type user/pass)
echo TEST > /tmp/test
CTRL+ALT+F7 (back to X)
cat /tmp/test
TEST

plymouth removed console-common which has

$ dpkg -L console-common
/etc
/etc/init.d
/etc/init.d/keymap.sh
/etc/console

so any experience solution or direction to look for ... perhaps google can
do better work on your system then on mine

thank you in advance