Re: can't start KDE with 2 monitors

On Friday 20 March 2015 01:55:34 Bret Busby wrote:
> On 20/03/2015, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > So I am stuck with a 3.4-9amd64 kernel as the newest I can run and
> > have a fighting chance of watching a news video from one of the
> > mainsleaze sites.  So I am waiting until Ubuntu 15.04.2 LTS or so,
>
> I, on my desktop system running Debian 6, also have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
> installed.
>
> On my "Laptop" system that has Debian 7 installed, I also have Ubuntu
> 14.04 LTS installed, as the only (out of Debian and Ubuntu) Linux
> distribution that I have found to successfully deal with the nuvo
> problem.
>
> I may be wrong, but I believe that Ubuntu releases an LTS version,
> only once every two years, so the next would be due as 16.04 LTS.
>
> I believe that Ihad already mentioned that Ubuntu 14.04 LTS overcame
> the problem, in this thread.

That is probably correct. And I expected that the disk compilers for
linuxcnc would have by now made an install cd based on 14.04 LTS but
that hasn't happened, the current hybride install iso is based on
wheezy.  Unforch, when it 14.04 LTS was fresh, there were and still are,
huge problems with the installer, and very high levels of old aps
broken.  Their mailing list was ablaze with upset people.  Upset people
do just like I do, they need something that works NOW so they go
someplace else, and the kubuntu list is now a ghost town with perhaps
10% of the subscribers it had a year ago.

I just started dl'ing the 64bit iso, s/b 14.04.2 LTS and will check it
out.  I'll need to pick up another drive before trying it though.  I
have one of those 3 drive quick change cages that makes drive swaps a 20
second powerdown.  Maybe by now the installer will work, wheezy's disk
prep is the wheezy way or hit the road. The wheezy way is reserving 2x
memory for swap & the rest in one big assed /.  And there is no way to
prep a disk the way you want it, the disk isn't even recognized as
haveing a previous partition table setup and ready formatted to ext4.

Since I run my own web server on this machine, I consider the inability
of keeping ALL its data in a separate partition as one aspect of
security.  But no, thats not "the wheezy way".

Yeah, I've had lots of people tell me it can be done, but no one, and no
web page they've suggested I visit, ever provided a solution to the my
way of the highway attitude of the installer. I did try, probably 5 or 6
times with wheezy.

> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
>
> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
>  you'll know what the answer means."
> - Deep Thought,
>  Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
>  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: