Re: how to debug this fuse problem

Hallo,
* Harry Putnam [Wed, Mar 18 2015, 07:41:21PM]:

> > Something is wrong with your modules installation. Run "dmesg" to see
> > what happened there.
> > Run "depmod -a" once, it might help if some stupid tool damaged the
> > module database (I had that "fun" with old dkms before).
> > Check the installed files (debsums linux-image-3.16.0-4-586)
> > Reinstall if needed (apt-get --reinstall install linux-image-3.16.0-4-586)
>
> dmesg shows what looks like quite a mess.  I' don't know what it might
> mean, perhaps someone here has seen it before or understands what it
> means?
>
> ,----
> | dmesg|grep fuse
> |
> | [    7.166080] fuse: Unknown symbol pagecache_get_page_fixed (err 0)
> | [    7.166143] fuse: disagrees about version of symbol iov_iter_get_pages
> | [    7.166188] fuse: Unknown symbol iov_iter_get_pages (err -22)

Please proceed as I suggested before (debsums, depmod, etc.). If the
package state is OK then feel free to open a bug report (with
reportbug utility).

> Apparently it is a little more going on in those lines above.  I don't
> see anything on the page you cite with names like: 3.16.7-ckt4-3
> 3.16.7-ckt7-1
>
> searching with `aptitudue search ckt7' (or ckt4)  finds nothing at all.

It's just an arbitrary version string. It can be (almost) anything, even
1.2.3.myCuteVersion-10.9.8.

> I suspect I could/should be running i686 with pae.  Not sure why the
> installer choose a 486 kernel originally ... (it changed to 586 during a
> full-upgrade a mnth or two ago)
>
> The jessie OS here is running as vbox guest on a 2x Xeon on HP xw8600

I don't know why the installer chose that kernel, your Xeon should be
fully i686 compatible. If the installation is damaged somehow (see
above) then switching to another kernel might make the problem
disappear.

Regards,
Eduard.