Re: Advise on setup of small office locally or via VPS

On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 09:05:12 +0000, Linux4Bene wrote:

> Op Wed, 18 Mar 2015 03:58:02 +0000, schreef Dan Purgert:
>
> [snip]
>> You've already got a frontend for them (hint - "roundcube")
>
> Yes, I just need to find a good plugin allowing for the users to change
> their password.

Dunno about roundcube (I use horde), but I do recall a bit of trial and
error with convincing horde/imp to play nice with the SASL authentication
provided by dovecot.

>> Well, not so sure about the extra firewall in the mix there - I mean,
>> yeah you'll have one on site likely as part of your router appliance
>> but that's pretty much a given these days anyway.
>>
>> Or are you planning on throwing a firewall somewhere else, such as
>> between the LAN and the file server (and if so - why?)
>
> I would hook up the firewall after the ISP router, before the LAN.
> The routers of ISP's here only have very basic firewall capabilities.
> I rather use my own device to protect the LAN.
> And it gives me a chance to learn the UBNT Edge router.

Gotcha -- since the ERLite (or, well most any router these days) includes
a firewall in the box already, I wasn't sure if you meant that, or if you
were adding another firewall-only appliance into the mix...

>> They'll definitely make it to your ISP.  Whether or not your ISP will
>> relay them as "yourdomain.com" or
>> "our-ip-address-block.somewhere.ISP.com"
>> is something you'll have to check with them though ...
>>
>> Really about the only guaranteed way of getting that would be to own an
>> actual block of IPs (i.e. bought directly from one of the number
>> registrars ... ARIN or RIPE or one of their delegated subsidiaries).
>> But in doing so, you're talking about buying something like a /20 (or
>> whatever their currently "smallest" allocation is).
>
> A big block is going to be overkill so I'll have to get by with whatever
> my ISP offers me. If I have a couple of IP's, it's enough for the public
> services I have.

Yep, figured as much.  And TBH, ARIN et. al. are pretty stingy with
giving out IPs in the first place ... so you'd probably be shot down
anyway.