Re: Advise on setup of small office locally or via VPS

Op Tue, 17 Mar 2015 18:50:39 -0700, schreef David Christensen:

> On 03/17/2015 04:22 AM, Linux4Bene wrote:
>> Thanks for any advice, thoughts, links or info and for your patience if
>> you got this far :)
>
> I run a SOHO LAN with ADSL, 4 static IP's, and a few Internet services.
>

> I avoid running key Internet-facing services locally -- my WAN bandwidth
> is too precious and the services are too important.  I prefer service
> provider DNS and mail, and VPS WWW.

I thought about using the domain registrars DNS but I wanted to set it up
as a learning exercise. VPS is really suited for www.
I still have to figure out how to setup a staging area. Do I go with
another VPS server for that or not? Ideally there would be another
machine hosting the sites so they are still accessible when the other VPS
goes down.
I haven't really researched this yet, but it's on my to do list.

> +1 for using a dedicated device/ FOSS distribution for your WAN/LAN
> gateway.  I use IPCop.

I have heard of IPCop, haven't tried it out.

> +1 for using Samba for the LAN file server -- I want interoperability:
> Linux, *BSD, Windows, Mac, and others.

Indeed, and the setup is rather painless :)

> VPN's are appealing, but consider the consequences of a VPN machine
> compromise.  Securing the rest of the VPN against that risk is
> non-trivial, and involves other people's computers and networks.  I
> turned it off.

I thought it made some sense to tie the WAN and LAN part together.
After reading your comment, it indeed seems like over complicating things.
As Dan already suggested, there is merit in KISS.

I guess you access your VPS servers also via SSH only then?
I run no gui on them so it's enough for my needs.

Thanks David for the insight,

Regards,
Benedict