Re: Unattended upgrades, how do stable et al work after upgrade?

On 3/16/2015 3:57 AM, Tapio Lehtonen wrote:
I can't understand how unattended upgrades continues to work after
Jessi is stable. In wheezy the config file has

    "origin=Debian,archive=stable,label=Debian-Security";
    "origin=Debian,archive=oldstable,label=Debian-Security";

I don't want to upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie immediately when Jessie
is release. Sometime when version 8.1 or 8.2 comes might be a good
time to upgrade. Meanwhile I would like the unattended-upgrades to
keep Wheezy updated until I upgrade to Jessie. And I do not want
unattended-upgrades to start installing packages from Jessie.

I read about the changes made after Squeeze which indicate this setup
does work in the above situation. But I do not understand how.

Is there some mechanism that prevents updates from stable if the you
distro codename is not the same as the installed distro? What happens
if there is wheezy-lts like there is now Squeeze Long Term Support
version.

Would unattended-upgrades work, if I remove oldstable-lines and
replace every string stable with wheezy? And after upgrading to Jessie,
replace wheezy with jessie?

If you don't have any packages from oldstable, then you don't need a a line that will
try to pull in updates for oldstable.

Unless you have stuff in your 'sources.list' 'sources.list.d/files' I'm not seeing where
it's a requirement to specify which archives to pull from.

https://wiki.debian.org/UnattendedUpgrades

But if you do specify, it's the same as sources.list.....

If you want to stick with stable, specify stable as the archive.
If you want to stick with wheezy, specify wheezy as the archive.

Later, Seeker