Re: fbdev driver on Wheezy

On 15/03/15 20:07, Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2015-03-15 18:44 +0100, Andrew Wood wrote:

Im trying to get Wheezy with lightdm and Xfce to work on an old kiosk
machine with a Silicon Motion SM712 chip. Currently X just turns the
screen off as soon as it starts and from the Googling Ive done it
seems this is a common problem with both the silicon motion driver and
the generic vesa driver and the solution appears to be using the fbdev
driver instead?

How can I force X to use this driver under Wheezy, there doesnt even
seem to be an xorg.conf file anywhere?
You can create your own, the following four lines are sufficient:

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"n"
	Driver		"fbdev"
EndSection

Save this as /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and X will use the fbdev driver.

Thanks Sven

Ive done some experimenting using a skeleton xorg.conf file created using Xorg -configure and then editing it.

Below is the complete file. The machine has two monitor ports one LVDS to which the kiosks LCD is normally connected which is 800x600 and a VGA port to which I have a temporary 15" CRT connected via a KVM switch.

Ive thus created two Device entries with a separate screen number for each. With the driver set to 'siliconmotion' running X with Xorg -config /root/xorg.conf.new it flashes an X GUI output for a split second - Im sure I see the Wheezy grey background and Debian logo then the screen turns off.

Setting the driver to 'fbdev' X refuses to start with a seg fault.

Ive learnt a lot about X configuration tonight having not done it before. I feel Im almost there but not quite. Can anyone enlighten me as to what is wrong please?

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "X.org Configured"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
    FontPath     "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
    FontPath     "built-ins"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load  "dbe"
    Load  "dri2"
    Load  "glx"
    Load  "extmod"
    Load  "dri"
    Load  "record"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "Protocol" "auto"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "Monitor0"
    VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName    "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "Monitor1"
    VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName    "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### <percent>: "<f>%"
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "ShadowFB"               # [<bool>]
        #Option     "Rotate"                 # <str>
        #Option     "fbdev"                  # <str>
        #Option     "debug"                  # [<bool>]
    Identifier  "Card0"
    Driver      "fbdev"
    BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen 0