Re: How can I force a full fsck on a remote system at next reboot?

* Jape Person <japers@comcast.net> [2015-03-13 14:12 -0400]:

> On 03/12/2015 05:48 PM, Michael Biebl wrote:

[...]

> >For remote systems, where you don't have a sideband channel like iLO,
> >you could use "grub-set-default", to choose the boot entry for the next
> >boot. See man 8 grub-set-default.
> >

> Hi, Michael.
>
> Well, I almost got it.
>
> Adding a new menu entry to run fsck was easy enough. I modified the
> /etc/grub.d/40_custom script and ran update-grub, and the new entry thus
> created works when chosen from the grub menu.
>
> However, I can't get grub-set-default to redesignate that new menu entry as
> the default.

Here is how I use it:

The first menu entry is 0 which points to my latest kernel.

The second menu entry points to a submenu where all kernels are
listed. So if I want to boot the third entry in the second menu I
just type as root:

# grub-reboot "1>2"

As we all know, grub starts counting at 0 ;-) so this means:

Reboot the _third_ (2) entry in the _second_ (1) menu.

grub-reboot(8):

MENU_ENTRY  is  a number, a menu item title or a menu item identifier. Please
note that menu items in submenus or sub-submenus require specifying the submenu
components and then the menu item component. The titles should be  separated
using the greater-than character (>) with no extra spaces. Depending on your
shell some characters including > may need escaping. More information about
this is available in the GRUB Manual in the section about the 'default'
command.

HTH
Elimar

--