Re: How can I force a full fsck on a remote system at next reboot?

On 03/12/2015 05:48 PM, Michael Biebl wrote:
Am 2015-03-11 19:04, schrieb Jape Person:
Hi!

Because of the deprecated use of "# touch /forcefsck" as a method of
forcing a file system check on the partition containin /root at boot
time I posted here some time ago to see if there might be another way
to invoke the function.

touch /forcefsck is deprecated under systemd, but still supported.

What sysvinit's shutdown -F does, is simply create that flag file.
That parameter was removed from systemd's shutdown command, as its use
is discouraged, but as said, still supported.

Run "touch /forcefsck" under systemd and it will happily check the file
systems on next boot.

As for alternate ideas: I could think, that having update-grub generate
an alternate grub entry, which adds fsck.mode=force to the kernel
command line and which can be selected during boot, might be one idea.

For remote systems, where you don't have a sideband channel like iLO,
you could use "grub-set-default", to choose the boot entry for the next
boot. See man 8 grub-set-default.

Michael

Thanks, Michael.

I did realize that "touch /forcefsck" was still working, and that's what I'm using now. I was just trying to get with the times and use whatever I'm supposed to use now.

What I didn't know was that all the -F flag on shutdown was doing was to create that file. Funny that.

I will check the man pages for grub-set-default. It seems like the approach of using grub for this function on remote systems may be a little easier than I was thinking it would be earlier on.

BTW, do you have any thoughts as to why the recent upgrade in initramfs-tools would defeat the strategy I was using -- setting maximum mount count to zero with a line in rc.local and then invoking tune2fs to change it to a value of one, and then rebooting?

Thank you for the additional education.

Best,
JP