Re: How to pinpoint the package responsible for an unhandled IRQ?

On Mon, Mar 09, 2015 at 08:18:25PM -0400, Kynn Jones wrote:
> My kernel logs a message that includes
>
>     irq 16: nobody cared
>
> ...and proceeds to disable IRQ #16.
>
> This unhandled IRQ is causing significant problems in my system, so
> I'm trying to get to the bottom of it.
>
> My understanding is that such unhandled IRQs are usually driver bugs.
>
> If this is the case, how can I determine the driver responsible for this bug?

$ grep 16: /proc/interrupts

should give you an idea of what device or devices are on IRQ 16. And
yes, my understanding of IRQs is that a device raises an interrupt to
let the computer know that something it ready (data, an error, etc) the
appropriate driver should then notice that (or perhaps be notified of
it) and service the interrupt. If no-one responds to the kernel saying
"There's something happening on IRQ 16", then you get the message above.