Re: Purging depends in cinnamon

On 03/03/2015 01:25 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
Frank wrote:
I recently installed the cinnamon desktop in my Sid installation
which of course brought in Icedove and Ice Weasel as well as a number
of other programs.

Is there any way to eliminate them, as I have been running Thunderbird
and firefox. Trying to purge them results in aptitude wanting to
purge a lot of other stuff, including the cinnamon-desktop-environment.

The usual suggestion is to use the 'equivs' package to create a local
replacement package for iceweasl and the others.  The local package
would provide the iceweasel name so that dpkg thinks they are
installed but in reality it is simply an empty package holding the
name.

//snip//

Bob

 That's good to know Bob. I'll make a note of that for the
next time this might happen. As it is now, I allowed Aptitude
to remove all it wanted to and then re-installed one or
two packages.

Thanks

Frank