Digital noise from USB DAC device

I got a new USB DAC device (digital to analog converter, a "sound card")
and I'm having problems with digital noise.

Music goes directly to the device without any mixers, like this:

    mplayer -af-clr -ao alsa:device=hw=1.0 -format s32le [...]

And it plays nicely. But with high-dynamic classical music I need to
turn amplifier's volume up more than usually and it reveals some sort of
digital noise. Here's a short recording of the sound (file size 1.2MB):

http://koti.kapsi.fi/~dtw/usb-dac-digital-noise.flac

That's from my Debian 7.8 box. But when I use the DAC device in my
Macbook Air (OS X) and play the same music files, there is no noise. So
I think it must be my Debian software stack or a hardware issue.

Any ideas about solving this?