Re: running kodi (xmbc) on debian

On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 14:27:33 -0600, Matthew Moore wrote:

> [...]
> For whatever reason, Netflix and Amazon video only seem to work happily
> inside of a browser these days. I know that in the past Netflix
> explicitly didn't work on Linux, and required doing some virtualization
> if you wanted to use it. I still don't know if they will stream HD to a
> Linux box. In the end, I decided that downloading was better than
> streaming.

Mint 17 with pulling the latest version of google-chrome "just
works" (tm)
-- at least with a fresh install that I hadn't had time to screw up by
reading out of date howto's.

With that said, I /may/ have enabled html5 playback on a Windows box
first, and have just forgotten I did that bit.  Best to check that you
have html5 enabled.

Though, yeah, I do prefer using my internal network over streaming.  TWC
goes to pot in my area pretty much at 15:00, and is touchy at best until
about 20:00.

Any attempts at getting it fixed result in "We don't care.  We don't have
to.  We're the cable company."

>[...]
>
> I've been using Debian's XBMC on an old laptop connected to the TV for a
> long time. *Mostly* it works really well and is much better than any
> commercial product I've used.

Confirming XBMC is nice, although I prefer rasBMC these days, as it's
easier to hide the Raspberry Pi.  Not to mention, it's dead silent, and
draws little power.

Granted, it does have fairly limited RAM/CPU power, though I believe I've
got one of the older versions.  Some of the breakout boards, such as the
IR Receiver are really helpful in the "turn it into a HTPC" arena.

> [...]
>
> I think that a lot of the HTPC software tries to hide the fact that it's
> running on a computer, or encourages you to never leave its own
> interface.

Yeah, rasbmc is pretty much the same here, though the interface isn't
that bad once you've configured it - or at least it's no worse than the
interface for my receiver/bluray player.

It's been a while since I've used the raspi as anything other than an
endpoint for media hosted on my LAN, but I recall that if you wanted
youtube, it would reboot the device and give you a full-blown browser ...
or well as "full blown" as you can get on the raspi.