Re: fakeroot to build a package?

On 2/18/15, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 02:10:57PM +0200, Eugene Zhukov wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I came across this building tutorial [1]. It advertises using
>> fakeroot debian/rules binary
>> command to build a package. Needless to say it doesn't work for all
>> packages.
>> I find this tutorial confusing. I know of two other IMHO better pages
>> on the topic [2] and [3].
>> Did I miss something or the first wiki needs fixing.?
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.debian.org/BuildingTutorial
>> [2] https://wiki.debian.org/IntroDebianPackaging
>> [3] https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/
>
> These are good ones :-)  (I wrote recent portion of maint-guide)
>
> But multi-arch description in maint-guide is weak due to the limitation
> of dh_make command.
>
> You may also wish to install debmake package and read its documentation.
> This is rather new tool and may have some rough edges.

I'm actually *almost* able to follow it on first glance over, and I'm
one who advocates about things being and/or not being cognitively
friendly. I think I'm able to follow it because I've been struggling
through MULTIPLE different debootstraps lately. Practice makes
perfect, yada-yada-grin..

The topic is almost familiar, too. I probably encountered it while
trying to find my own niche in helping the Debian Community. With you
all chatting it back up again, I'm going to leave that tab open (as a
cognitively friendly reminder it's a to-do). I was knocking on the
door of being bored again, hadn't broken anything in a few days. That
right there looks like a GOOD way to start breaking things
again.......

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* ok, who left the refrigerator door open again? *