Occasionally jessie stalling at boot

Hi, my experience of jessie is not issueless, unfortunately.

One niggle is that if/when it decides to fsck my disks, including when
I request it, I'm lucky if I get a progress bar. The first I know
about it is that the drive light stays on for rather a long while and
then I see the root filesystem's "% non-contiguous" result.
If the system happens to be spitting out what it's doing, which seems
to happen at random, then I *do* see a progress bar which sometimes
appears to get written over and then reappear.

However, the really annoying thing that happens, again at random, is
that booting gets stuck at:

[ Cylon eye ] A start job is running for Enable support for additional executable binary formats (3h 7min 57s / no limit)

Typing ^C has the effect of freezing the Cylon eye, stopping the clock,
and some disk activity (each press). Pressing the power button has no
further effect. I haven't found a method for orderly shutdown, so I
have to hard reset with the power button. On rebooting, journals may
get replayed, and I might see a message flash past about ditching the
journal.

Typically I don't find any trace of booting in /var/log/{boot,dmesg}*
but /var/log/kernel can indicate that the system got all the way to

kernel: [  119.643561] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready

which is normally the last entry in a normal boot (usually after the
Login: prompt), so the system seems to have been up and running except
for this Enable support job, which makes the system unusable.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
David.