Re: Re: incomplete update(?) trashed my system

> Take a look at ls -l /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/

After numerous mistakes, I finally have:

-rwsr-xr-- 1 root messagebus 298544 Dec  3 15:03 dbus-daemon-launch-helper

> Here's some edited output from my laptop, ~60 lines. They're
> most of the files where the permissions mean that ownership
> is important.

   Thank you.  I extracted and sorted your file names and then

ls -ld `cat yourfiles` |awk '{print $1,$2,$3,$4,$NF}' > my_ls

after which I ran

diff your_ls my_ls.

   There are a number of files in your list for which I have
no counterpart.  The sizes of some directories are
different.  The only difference I saw involving ownership:

< drwxr-xr-x 2 statd nogroup /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs
> drwxr-xr-x 9 root root /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs

   I'm not sure what the next step should be.