Re: Error compiling Emacs cvs at `make bootstrap'

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 12:49:36PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> With Debian 8, Sid: I'm trying to compile and install Emacs cvs but `make
> bootstrap' ends up with the following lines:
>
> Makefile:49: recipe for target '../../info/eintr' failed
> make[3]: *** [../../info/eintr] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/rodolfo/emacs/doc/lispintro'
> Makefile:811: recipe for target 'info-real' failed
> make[2]: *** [info-real] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/rodolfo/emacs'
> Makefile:829: recipe for target 'info' failed
> make[1]: *** [info] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/rodolfo/emacs'
> Makefile:866: recipe for target 'bootstrap' failed
> make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
>
> Please help.  Below the whole standard output and error.

You actually cut out the offending errors (that is, your messages show
that make failed, but not why).

What I do notice in the full output are plenty of errors in *.texi
the message doesn't start with "warning:", then that's an error that
will break the build.)

> org.texi:1731: @itemx must follow @item
> org.texi:2486: warning: @item missing argument
> org.texi:4687: @itemx must follow @item
> org.texi:7172: @itemx must follow @item

Take a look at the Debian package for how it builds emacs. There may be
patches you need to apply, or parameters you need to supply in order to
build with the debian toolchain. Alternatively, there are tutorials on
the internet showing how to download the source of a debian package,
update the upstream code and re-build it locally.