Re: disabling unneeded services?

On Mon 16 Feb 2015 at 21:16:12 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Monday 16 February 2015 17:54:34 Brian wrote:
> > It looks like exim is redundant and
> > could be purged.
> >
> > But what about local mail? There is a view that most users never look at
> > it so exim should be dispensed with. You will have to make up your own
> > mind about this.
>
> I install nullmailer.  This removes exim (it conflicts), takes a lot less room
> itself, and fulfills the "need" for a local mailer.

I've never used it but DragonFly Mail Agent (dma) is smaller in size than
nullmailer and doesn't run as a daemon. It is advocated as a replacement
for exim at

  https://wiki.debian.org/Debate/DefaultMTA/DMA

Returning to ldap; using

  dpkg -l | grep ldap

will give ldap related packages on the system. Then

  apt-cache rdepends <ldap_related_package>

will give the packages (which may or not be on the system) which use
<ldap_related_package>. I bet kaddressbook is one of them.