Re: about installing Java

Quoting Jack Chuge <zhuge.jack@gmail.com>:

Chris Fisichella 於 2015-2-13 9:50 寫道:
Quoting Jack Chuge <zhuge.jack@gmail.com>:

I want to install the latest version of Java on my debian desktop. Is
there any quick way like using a terminal command? Though, I think
debian is the most stable Linux distro I've ever used so far, on the
other hand, I'm a newby to it. Any support is appreciated.
--
I like hk.politics. ^_^

Hi Jack,

This is hardly a let-me-google-this-for-you question. But, I did a
little googling and arrived at this website which is what I would use if
I wanted the latest Java on my machine:

http://www.webupd8.org/2014/03/how-to-install-oracle-java-8-in-debian.html

They say to run the following:
<code>
su -
echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu trusty main"
| tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java.list
echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu trusty
main" | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java.list
apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys EEA14886
apt-get update
apt-get install oracle-java8-installer
exit
</code>

I hope you have root access to your machine. The instructions imply its
use.

HTH,
Chris

It seems it's not allowed sudo instead of su for calling root
permission. Sadly, I've not setup a su password. How to fix it?
Thank you.

--
I like hk.politics. ^_^

Hi Jack,

With Cindy's cautions in mind, I'll let you know how I would continue
on this path. With no su access, have an administrator edit the
following file:

/etc/apt/sources.list

Add the following lines:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu trusty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu trusty main

save that file and at the root prompt, have them execute
the apt-key command that is listed up there, then run the two
following apt commands.

You wrote you have not setup su access, so I am assuming you otherwise
have root access. If you don't have root access, then I would try to
compile from sources. That is not always a straight-forward process.

HTH,
Chris