Re: Anti-spam recommendations

On 2/4/2015 10:00 AM, Mark Carroll wrote:
I'm moving a Debian mail server installation over to a different machine
environment and I figure that I may as well take the opportunity for a
fresh install and rethink. I've been using greylistd to good effect, but
I'd be surprised if it keeps working so well long-term. I have long
lists of aliases in Exim and perhaps more automated use of throwaway
addresses could have value; I haven't really thought that through.

What are people expecting will work well in the future for rejecting
spam at the MTA? E.g., SpamAssassin's performance, use of IP blacklists,
etc. I can live with some spam, if I am fairly sure I'm not wrongly
rejecting anything. I'm happy to look at anything conveniently packaged
for jessie.

-- Mark

IMO, it depends on the level of spam you're getting.

The first step is reverse DNS checking [0]. This will filter out about 80% of spam right off the bat. Next step would be a blacklist. I personally use SORBS but it can get a little sensitive sometimes (it threw the server for this list on the blacklist once) but overall it's pretty good. Spamassassin or some other
filtering mechanism that actually examines messages can be used as a last
resort if you're still having issues with spam.

Remember, most spammers aren't trying that hard to bypass anti-spam measures. They'd rather just go for the low-hanging fruit and spam unprotected systems.

[0]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward-confirmed_reverse_DNS

Matt Ventura