Re: Can't add usb stick as installation media (was: Network install)

On Sun 01 Feb 2015 at 12:01:53 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:
>
> > 1. Boot into your Wheezy install and login as root.
> >
> > 2. Insert the USB stick. There should be a message on the screen giving
> >    you a device name. I get sdg.
> >
> > 3. The netinst is on the first partition, sdg1. Use dmesg to check. I
> >    have 'sdg: sdg1'.
> >
> > 4. I'll mount my partition:
> >
> >      mount /dev/sdg1 /mnt
> >
> >    I'm told it is mounted read-only.
> >
> > 5. Now I'll add the USB stick to /etc/apt/sources.list.
> >
> >      apt-cdrom -m --no-auto-detect -d /mnt add
> >
> >    I'm told the disc is scanned for index files and a new source list is
> >    written. I can check by looking at /etc/apt/sources.list. Edit the
> >    file to comment out all lines apart from this one.
> >
> > 6. apt-get update
> >
> > 7. apt-get install ppp
> >
> > 8. Tell us where you went wrong before. :)
>

> After `apt-get install ppp', the system requires inserting a CD-ROM.  It does
> not accept the USB stick.
>
> The problem is reported here:
>
>  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=745381

That bug report contains the line

   > 4. sudo apt-cdrom -m -d /media/usb0 add

Note that "--no-auto-detect" is missing. The USB flash drive will not be
added to sources.list. You *do* have "--no-auto-detect" as part of the
command so your drive will be added to sources.list. At least we assume
it was because you have not mentioned any problems with steps 1 to 6
above.

You have not provided any screen messages which were displayed when you
tried 'apt-get install ppp'. I dislike guessing but see no reason why
you should not get what I get.

First, apt-get says it will install ppp and libcap0.8. When you say 'y'
there are screen messages which at the end tell you to insert a disc in
the drive 'media/cdrom'. What you do is mount /dev/sdX1 (X is a, b, etc)
on media/cdrom.

> for Wheezy, but I find it even with Jessie.  I think it's important because an
> usb stick is much practical than a CD-ROM or a DVD, so it would be important to
> have the possibility of installing Debian with such a device doing without
> CD-ROMs and DVDs.

Many would agree with this; I do.