Re: Linux based cellphones?

Karen Lewellen wrote:

> hi All,
> If this is not the best place for such a question, direct me elsewhere.
> Still I am wondering if there are open source /Linux based mobile
> devices? If so who manufactures them?
> thanks,
> Karen

Since Nokia dropped their N9 series and was sold to MS the only one left on
the market is Jolla.
We (me and my wife) both use the N9 for couple of years now and it is really
a great phone. It depends what you want to do with it ofcourse, but for us
it is more than sufficient. Firefox, Skype and E-Mail, Video, Music,
Pictures and a lot of useful apps.

I think next year I go for Jolla and check how far they have come.
I follow up their progress and the phone looks very very nice, however there
is still life in my N9, which I got very used to.

I think there are still N9s on the market that cost about €150 and Jolla
costs €400.

As it was mentioned they are not true open source for different reasons, but
still compared to Android and given that they run debian (or kind of debian
derivate) I like them much more then Android phones.
There are however SDKs for developers and building apps or compiling for the
phone is painful but still possible.
On Jolla you can run also Android apps as well (I heard)

I can only recommend the N9 - there was never a better smart phone on the
market (in my opinion)

regards