Re: Network install

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 04:09:46PM -0500, Dan Purgert wrote:
> On 29/01/2015 15:39, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Rodolfo Medina a écrit :
> >>
> >> To connect to Internet, I use ppp and a pendrive as modem.
> >
> > I doubt so. A "pendrive" is not a modem, it is a storage device.
>
> Bet he's referring to 3g/4g cell card as a "pendrive modem" or perhaps
> is using a wired USB modem that happens to look similar to a storage device.

Such things do exist. There are modems that, on first connection appear
to be a USB Mass Storage device (i.e. a pen drive) upon which the user
can find drivers for the modem (though, typically, these drivers only
work with a very limited number of operating systems).

In these cases, debian can use the package "usbmodeswitch" to send the
command to switch the USB device into modem mode, at which point the PPP
connection can be made.