Re: Glibc 2.15 not found?

On 01/29/2015 07:59 PM, Stephen wrote:

> On 01/29/2015 10:46 AM, Florent Peterschmitt wrote:
>> Or a custom glibc installed in an isolated prefix, then playing with
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH to load the new glibc.
>
>> Or if you don't want to build it by hand, you may do something tricky:
>> extracting the Jessie package by hand in, again, an isolated prefix.
>> But i'm not that sure it would work.
>
> I wouldn't mind building it by hand, I'm trying to get more 'hands on'
> (pun completely intended) with Debian. I am just a novice user though so
> I have a very faint clue what your talking about...

I understand.

Well, you don't have much choices. Force-install a newer glibc in the
base system will break your entire system, so here are the options:

 * install another version of Debian containing the required glibc version

 * install another distro if you don't want to use "unstable" softwares.
if you want to stay on a debian-like and are a novice, can I suggest you
Ubuntu or LinuxMint?

 * build your glibc by hand (see LFS pages[0], they can be helpful) but
install files (not configuration) in, say, /opt/glibc-<version>. Then to
use you'll need to play with some environment variables. At least you
know how to run a program from command line, so env variables are just
the next step :-)

 * download the newer, packaged, version of glibc from unstable or
testing Debian, extract it by hand and put files in a prefix, like
before. Then use env vars an pray for it to work.

[0]
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter06/glibc.html