No vi in rescue mode ?

As a Debian newbee, I was very surprised this week-end: on the first reboot after adding a second raid array to my newly installed Debian system, the reboot failed, could not recognize the UUID of the new array.

So I give the root password, and # vi /etc/fstab. Surprise ! I get vi: command not found

Had to boot a live CD (adding dmraid=true in the grub line), and mount the partition so I could edit /etc/fstab (and remove all the UUID crap which, as far as I am concerned, does nothing good but bring problems)...

How is it that such a fundamental tool as vi is missing ?

How can I make it available in the rescue console ?

Cheers,

Ron.
--
                   Intolerance is itself a form of violence
          and an obstacle to the growth of a true democratic spirit.