Re: Unable to configure UPS options

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 20:43:56 -0600
Melvin Call <melvincall979@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have two computers, both running Wheezy and the
> XFCE4 Desktop. Both have attached UPS devices, and
> lsusb shows the UPS attached to each machine. Yet,
> on one I have options to configure actions to take
> when on battery, and on the other I have no "On
> Battery" tab. I enabled the battery monitor plug-in
> in the notification area on both, and the problematic
> one shows only to be online (no battery present).
>
> I am looking for help to enable the battery option
> on the second machine so when the power goes off
> the system will shutdown or suspend to RAM at my
> choosing. I have compared installed packages between
> the two and see nothing significant. What would my
> next step be, please?

Typically, UPSes don't appear as batteries. You probably want to
install something like NUT (network-ups-tools) or APCUPSd (which also
works with non-APC UPSes). These will monitor the UPS and notify you
(typically by email, but there are graphical monitors available for
NUT. The daemon will also initiate a controlled shutdown once the
battery level becomes critical.

I'm not aware of any technical reason why UPSes couldn't be connected
into the ACPI system, I just don't think anyone's ever done it.