Re: Question a-propos a USB modem

On 24/01/15 16:11, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jan 2015 15:35:15 +0100
Hans <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:

When I plug in my USB modem, it is recognized and mounted on /dev/ttyACM0
Sadly, it is not accessible to the user as:
root@ron # ls -l /dev/ttyA*
crw-rw---T 1 root dialout 166, 0 Jan 24 11:23 /dev/ttyACM0
and I must chmod a+rw before users can use it.
Is there a way to make it mount crw-rw-rw-T without root intervention ?

I believe (but I am not sure), the user, whos wants to use the modem, must be
in group "dialout". Take a look at the rigts of the modem aka /dev/.

I have added the user to the dialout group, with no result: cannot send a fax until I have chmod'ed /dev/ttyACM0

Cheers,

Ron.

The user has to log out and log in again for the group changes to take effect.

I've experienced the case where daemons running on behalf of the user continue to run even though the user has logged out, so check for these or just reboot the machine.

Regards,
Philip Ashmore