Re: Laptop advice

Am Sonntag, 18. Januar 2015, 10:29:42 schrieb john@AgeingGracefully.ca:
> I have never installed used nor installed linux on a laptop ($500 - $600),
> however I have decided to buy one but before doing so I need some advice.
> These are the questions that come to mind.
>
> 1. Graphics radeon or nvidia? I have nvidia on my desktop but have no
> experience with radeon.
In any case: Nvidia. Works like a charm.

> 2. WiFi what to avoid?
I would prefer Atheros. Some nice options, other wifi-cards do not possess.

> 3. Dual boot? What problems should I expect?

None, if you follow the standard hard-drive rules (only 4 primary partions, or
3primary + 1 extended partition parted as you wish).

I suggest (if you want to keep windows), to shrink the windows partition with
gparted (there is a live dvd available), then install debian on the
unpartitioned space.

Note: If you want encrypteds filesystems, you might get in trouble, when
changing the size later with gparted. So I suggest, to make a plan, how much
space you want to give for every partition. Hint: Make the partition, where
/tmp resides a little bigger, so that there is about 10GB free. Some
applications (like a DVD burner) uses it for temporary files. In this special
case, and you want to burn a blue-ray or a 8,5GB-DVD, then thios will come in
handy.

> I will install Jessie from a thumb drive and upgrade to testing when Jessie
> becomes stable.

That's fine.

Good luck!

Hans