Re: An experiment in backup

On 01/17/2015 09:29 AM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> Did you have to re-create any of the excluded directories before it would
> boot properly?
>
> This looks a lot like what I do already, but is not working for me.  I'll
> check the details.

Kevin, you sent this directly to me, not the list.

I have /home on another partition, so I just mounted that in the new
system. I created blank /tmp /dev /proc and /sys. They are populated at
boot time. Just match the permissions from the system you're copying from.

I have not tried backing up a live system using tar. Just using rsync to
copy file by file.

A quick google search just brought up this link:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/full_system_backup_with_rsync

which is very similar to how I did it.

-Thom