Re: Compiling kernel from Github - Howto?

On 17/01/15 10:19 AM, csanyipal@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,

I have a headless powerpc box and run on it Debian Wheezy with kernel
Linux b2 3.2.62-1 #1 Mon Aug 25 04:22:40 UTC 2014 ppc GNU/Linux .

But this kernel doesn't have support for the rtl8192cu kernel-module.

One can to get the kernel source from here:
https://github.com/Excito/community-b3-kernel .

I did so with the command:
git clone https://github.com/Excito/community-b3-kernel.git

I get the community-b3-kernel/ dorectory with a lot of subdirectories,
so I actually don't know where to find the directory with the 3.2.62-1
kernel source?

If I can find it, from there I can compile the kernel with the wnated
module.

Any advices will be appreciated!

--
Regards, from Pál

Before compiling a custom kernel, I'd check with RealTek to see if they have a package for Debian that you can install.

I note that https://packages.debian.org/squeeze-backports/firmware-realtek has realtek 8192 support back to Squeeze. Are you really lacking the driver or just the (non-free) firmware?

Realtek have a driver at http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=48&PFid=48&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true#RTL8192CU but again, that seems to be for really old kernels.