Re: Preventing the computer from shutting down.

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 04:10:11PM -0600, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
> Thanks everybody for their help. I will use molly-guard to guard
> from accidental shut down from the CLI. Is there something like
> molly-guard for the LXDE power off/close session button?.
>
> I must clarify that what I mean by “preventing the computer from
> shutting down” is preventing the operator from inadvertently
> shutting down or rebooting the system while it is undergoing a
> backup.

I know this is an old thread, but here's something that might work.

I have a Wheezy system running LXDE and if you try to shut down using
the gui while another user is logged in, it refuses.  Actually, I think
it requests the root password.

So if your backup process involves an ssh login of a regular user (uid
of 1000 or greater), other users won't be able to shut down the computer
by normal gui methods.

-Rob