Re: Sendmail greeting delay

Thanks for the replies.

The system is not using tcpwrappers, and it's also not a DNS issue.  The client PC does have a reverse DNS entry.  A tcpdump packet capture on the server shows the initial connection from the client followed by a bunch of DNS traffic, all within the same second.  Then nothing happens for exactly 5 seconds, then the server sends data back to the client.

Just to be extra sure, I added an entry for it in /etc/hosts so DNS wouldn't even be needed.  Still made no difference.

Thanks,
Dave

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 4:21 PM, Chris Davies <chris-usenet@roaima.co.uk> wrote:
David Parker <dparker@utica.edu> wrote:
> We have an SMTP server running Sendmail 8.14.4-4 on Debian 7 64-bit.

> Kaccess hash -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access
> # FEATURE(`access_db', `hash -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access', `skip')dnl

> For some reason, I just can't get it to not pause when greeting external
> (non-localhost) connections. [...]
> if I test from another PC on our network, it connects, pauses for 5
> seconds, and then prints the SSL information.

Does your PC have an rDNS entry, and if not could this delay be a DNS
lookup timeout?

Chris