Re: Have I been hacked?

On 11/01/15 23:18, Brian wrote:
On Sun 11 Jan 2015 at 22:32:39 +0000, Iain M Conochie wrote:

On 10/01/15 20:31, Brian wrote:
By all means advocate and use ssh keys. But at least provide some
substantial reason for spurning password login for that particular
situation. A blanket "don't use passwords" or "keys are better"
doesn't cut it.
There are 3 (current) factors in authentication:

1. What the user knows
2. What the user has
3. What the user is

These increase in security as you go higher up the number. So
(assuming the implementation is secure) my fingerprint (being
something I am) is more secure than a password. Also, an ssh-key
(being something I have) is more secure than a password.
Both a password and a key is something the user is in possession of.
Think pin and  bank card. Both you are in possession of. Only one you know.

Perhaps this will explain:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-factor_authentication
A fingerprint (a key, I suppose) is no more "me" than a password. I
may be being dense but I am having difficulties in following your
argument and the distinctions you are trying to make.
dense is the one of last thing you are Brian.
In each case we have the _implementation_ to let us down. #1 is up
to the user whereas #2 and #3 are up to the programmer. Who do you
trust ;)
Sorry, I do not follow this either.
As I see it, the ability of a computer to reduce an individual to a _unique_ blob[1] is what we are trying to achieve here. Think the hash of a password.

[1] A length of arbitrary bytes.

Cheers

Iain