Re: help in purging old packages

On 1/10/15, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

> If you are an apt-get command line person (like I am) instead of the
> aptitude methods already mentioned then you can use apt-show-versions
> to show you what is installed but no longer has an install candidate.
>
>   apt-show-versions | grep -v uptodate
>
> Packages that match what are in the archive say "uptodate".  The grep
> -v removes those lines.  What are left are all of the other
> interesting packages.  I will include a list from a system of mine for
> an example.  (And I guess I have some cleaning to do on my system.)
>
> With the list in hand you can then use judgement and purge them off.

* I like it! *

When I first finally "bought into" the whole package deal (versus
rolling your own via compiling), I was using graphical interface. You
could visually flip through then toggle (via clicking checkboxes) what
packages to upgrade. Moving (permanently) to command line to perform
those actions, I lost that ability and just never pursued whether it
even existed in that [realm]. All you'd see there was yadda number of
packages need upgraded without knowing what all they were.

So I just installed your suggested apt-show-versions then ran the
command you (also) suggested. Zip. Blank. Zero. Yay!

Then I got to thinking. Been seeing things about things being frozen
and other about mirrors playing catchup *TODAY* so I ran apt-get
update then ran apt-show-versions again.

40. All presented in the format of:

apt/wheezy upgradeable from 0.9.7.9+deb7u6 to 0.9.7.9+deb7u7

And as a text list that I can see as a whole to be able to pick
through. That matters tremendously because this is all being done on
dialup. You only get to do basically one notable action at a time so
you have to orchestrate accordingly to get the most bang out of time
spent in front of the screen.. This is a PERFECT tool for that. :)

Cindy
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with plastic sporks *